Tuesday, October 23, 2007

"Perhaps They Will Listen..."


These words come from the Scripture Jeremiah 26:1-3 and were passed on to me by a friend after an exceptionally difficult Bible study we had with some of the older orphanage girls. It was quite appropriate, helpful and inspiring because many days here, I feel like I am talking to the walls or to the numerous pine trees around Emmanuel.

I used to think and worry that I had chosen the "easy" mission field by coming to this Christianity-based orphanage. I no longer think so.

The danger of growing up in a Christian community is that it becomes routine--things that are done because they have to be done and not because there is a joy and zeal for the Lord. Of course, God can use all things, and I am sure that He is planting seeds through the 5-times-a-week morning devotions and the tri-weekly afternoon Bible studies, but when I see the glazed, unfocused looks and hear the half-heartedly we-do-this-all-the-time sung songs, it frustrates me. My desire is for these kids to be on fire for our Lord, and I just don't see it.

So, as I continue to allow God to speak through me in Monday morning circles and Monday and Wednesday afternoon Bible studies, I will keep in mind the verse that says God's word that goes out will not return empty (Isaiah 55:11), and pray that..."perhaps they will listen."

**Please pray for a refreshing anointing of the Holy Spirit to rain down on Emmanuel and fill all of us with God's joy and peace. Thank you!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Tammy I am praying for you! Remember 1 Corinthians 3:6 - it is your job to either plant the seed or water it. It's God's job to grow it. I know that you're being a good and faithful servant, and God will reward you for it (vs 8). I love you and miss you!

Jess said...

I'm praying for you Tami! :)

Thanks for keeping us updated. It feels like I'm back @ OE when I look at your pictues.

"Let us not grow weary while doing good for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart. Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith."
(Galatians 6:9-10)

In case you want to keep up with Jess:

www.restingandrejoicing.wordpress.com