Saturday, November 24, 2007

The Big Move!


Ever tried to move over 400 people in one day? Well, we did this past Monday. There were some pre-moving activities on Saturday and Sunday, and quite a few post-moving activities afterward, but Monday was the main day, and it was CRAZY!!

We have 6 living areas, in general, for the children--2 for girls, 3 for boys, and 1 for toddlers. On Monday, EVERYONE switched houses! Girls are where boys were, boys are where girls were. This moving day was probably the most fascinating one I have ever seen...trucks, trailers, tractors everywhere. Kids' belongings tied up in sheets; televisions, Christmas trees, mattresses being toted from one side of the orphanage to another. Brooms, mops, soap suds abounding. It was pretty fun, actually.

Out of all this moving, I acquired my own house of girls that I am responsible for. A little intimidating, indeed, but God seems to be throwing a lot of those intimidating opportunities my way these days. (All the better to learn and grow.) I am in charge of 37 girls. They live in a house that consists of 4 separate rooms. Some of the girls I know from the old yard where I was an assistant leader. We also acquired some of the "special needs" girls. Thankfully, everyone seems to be getting along well so far and most have been very helpful. The good thing about this move is that instead of having to hike the entire length of the orphanage to get to the girls' yard, my house of girls is directly behind my own house!

"Do not remember the former things, or consider the things of old. I am about to do a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert." Isaiah 43:18-19

No comments: