Thursday, December 13, 2007

Hope Deferred....


So, I was SUPPOSED to come home on Tuesday. My Emmanuel volunteer friends, Emily and Kelly, were also traveling with me, U.S. bound. We got to the airport early and safely, carried by staff friends, received help from another friend at the airport, got checked in and were ready and waiting at our gates. Emily and I sent Kelly off on her Continental flight, me with the comment, "See you tomorrow at your party." Meanwhile, at 1:20, Emily's and my 1:30 American Airlines plane had not even arrived. We received the announcement that we would now not be leaving until 3:50. Well, that would surely cause me to miss my Miami connection, and I began to be very disappointed, having anticipated my trip home for a long time. I called Mom, and she thankfully informed me that the airline had already booked me for a later flight from Miami, and I began to feel better. However, in the end, we ended up not leaving Tegucigalpa at all due to a malfunctioning battery in our plane.


My first thought was to call my friend, Ethel, who lives in the capital, to see if we could stay with her and her family. That would have been fun, and I know they would have gladly accommodated us. The airline, however, took very good care of us by providing free taxi service to and from a hotel, 3 free meals at the said hotel, and a hotel that was five stars! We were pretty amazed!


Obviously, we both would have rather have been at home on Tuesday. We give thanks to God, though, that 1) He protected us from flying on a malfunctioning plane, 2) we had each other to be stuck in Teguc. with, 3) He blessed us with a fun, mini-vacation in the process, and 4) we are all three safely home with our loved ones for the holidays. God is SO good!

No comments: