Sunday, December 16, 2007

Visiting Rita


On December 6, I had a second blessing of visiting my other Compassion child, Rita. This time around, I traveled with a new Compassion friend, Oscar, and we went to the town of Comayagua. Our arrival was a little more anticipated there. Rita arrived at her Compassion project in a taxi with her little sister, Yenni, and her little niece, Yoali.

We first had a tour of the project, and Rita was practically glued to my hip. Oscar was very impressed and said that it is one of the best Compassion projects he has seen. Candy and Yanira, the project director, bestowed on me gifts of a scarf and bracelets that had been made by children and mothers from the project. The best gift I received was when Rita sang a song to me that she had written about God. I was amazed and so proud! Rita used to be really shy, but it appears that my "wallflower" is a blossoming flower, and I am so thankful to God, especially with my concern for her after her mother died in January of this year.

After the project, we took Rita and the two little ones to Central Park. There we viewed a big Christmas tree and the beautiful cathedral, bought cotton candy, took pictures, and went into a museum. Next, we went to Pizza Hut for lunch, which was pretty fun. The small girls had a blast on the playground. Rita and I had fun taking random pictures. After lunch, we went to Rita's home. There, I got to meet her stepfather and sister-in-law. I also gave out gifts, took more pictures, watched two little girls get blue tongues from cotton candy, and videoed Rita singing her song.

I was so touched by this visit with Rita. It is amazing to see God working in her life, giving her confidence to become the young woman He created her to be.

If you are interested in sponsoring a child, you can find more information at http://www.compassion.com/. It is a real, life-changing (for the children and for sponsors) ministry.

1 comment:

Modern Mighty Man said...

Just caught up on your blogs. We're proud of you. Congrats on taking over an entire house. Wade once told me that if God's not expanding your territory you might want to examine your faith.
I know it's nerve racking. Remember, you can't do it but God can.